«

»

May 13

Print this Post

Saving Energy

As we come to a close of the year there still are in fact many ways we can conserve energy and also, even put some of those savings in more meaningful places around the home. Here are a few ideas, we all know about light bulbs, but are consumers aware of the savings that come from (CFL’s) compact fluorescent bulbs, not to mention the energy you can save, which is also better for the environment so those older looking bulbs commonly known as incandescent bulbs cost money in two respects. First incandescent lights are horribly inefficient: only 10% of the energy they consume is converted to visible light. Second the remaining 90% of electricity they burn becomes heat, so here’s a thought if you live in a region with a cooling season; your air conditioner must overcome this heat. It might seem trivial, but the heat adds up: Using a 100 watt bulb for an hour creates 341 BTU (British thermal units) of heat. If you have ten lights on, you’ll need an extra quarter ton of air conditioning capacity. For instance an ENERGY STAR qualified bulbs use about 75 percent less energy than standard incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 times longer. Save about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulbs lifetime. They also produce 75 percent less heat, so they’re safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling. CFL’s are also available in different watts, sizes and shapes to fit in almost any fixture, for indoors and outdoors. So let’s assume that you have a 75 watt bulb in a light fixture and want to change to a CFL bulb, you’ll be looking for a CFL in the 22 to 30 watt range. You can also go to a lower rating like a 15 watt. Another reminder is tried to avoid putting CFL’s in a dimmer light. They use to much energy as the electricity has to work harder as well as the bulb causing greater energy consumption. Overall CFL’s are a great product, although the price you’ll pay now is more but the long term is where you will see the savings.

Finding those leaks will give your home improved performance

The second category of energy saving improvements is aimed at reducing the need for heating and cooling, by sealing leaks, improving insulation, and replacing windows. We here know that building codes change and or get updated every 3 years. So let’s assume that insulation in your attic is never been added to in 5 to 10 years. Well then code in 2005 states a minimum of 9.5 inches of blown in insulation. Code as of 2008 is upwards of 12 to 14 inches depending on the product used. In example I was up in the attic doing some repairs and noticed the insulation level was very poor it was 2×6 joists and the insulation was at the top of the 2×6, although the house was built in the 1950’s no new insulation had been added. Let’s say that the house I was in had 6 inches total insulation and the customer wanted to bring insulation to current code which we will say is 12 inches depending on material used that’s 6 inches needed to be added. If we assume that the minimum amount of insulation had been the same for 10 years, then the heating and cooling efficiency has all vacated out of the house. There are ways to you can tell if your house has the proper amount of insulation.

· Are you noticing colder or hotter rooms than others?

· Are you finding yourself moving the thermostat up and down causing you to be uncomfortable?

· Does it seem like your furnace is constantly running.

· Properly insulating your home will not only help reduce your heating and cooling costs but also make your home more comfortable.

Turn off the fan

If you currently leave the furnace fan running all day, change the setting on the thermostat to auto.’’ This could save you between $100 and $500 a year on your electric bill. The fan is not intended to be ran 24/7.

Doors open

One of the best things you can do to preserve the life of your furnace and keep your house comfortable is to leave all interior doors open. This helps assist the furnace in recalculating all the air in the house not just in certain rooms.

“If we can assist in any of these energy saving mentions or would like to discuss how you could improve savings and energy efficiency in your home please call or email our office today!!!!


Permanent link to this article: http://911handyman.com/energy-saving-tips/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>